Wednesday, July 23, 2014

I Am Link

.
--- Motion Picture Soundtracks - Sometimes a post shows up somewhere that just gets me - this lengthy piece at The Dissolve by David Erlich on the music of Radiohead finding its way onto movie soundtracks is one of those times. I'm sad to hear it was inspired by one of their greatest songs showing up in I Origins though - that movie's trailer with all that yucky Brit Marling in it made my skin crawl.

--- Little Big Man - There's not a whole lot to this chat with human wig-stand Corey Stoll but in it he does confirm he's definitely making Ant-Man, and he sounds really very excited about it. Says he:

"Reading the script – and the script that Edgar wrote, and the script that there is now – it’s insane that this movie hasn’t been made before. Obviously, you need the technology because it needs to look great. But the whole idea of the changing of scale and the experiential effect of size changing is just so cool. You read these scenes on the page, and I just got giddy. I think it’s gonna be so much fun. You can get a little fatigued with superheroes because everybody is just punching everybody, or shooting everybody with ray beams. This is a completely different kinetic experience in the theater. Shrinking and growing back, there’s just so much material there to root it in."

--- Hag Time - Slap on your ice skates and dig up your hag mask, it's time to celebrate Curtains-style - the 1983 slasher movie we've been watching on shitty and I mean shitty boot-leg copies for years and years is out on shiny remastered blu-ray next week, huzzah! In case you're all Whatchu-talkin-bout-Willis you can head over to Final Girl to get a sneak peek at the disc itself and hear from the lips of Stacie Ponder what she thinks of the movie. Also if you're all Whatchu-talkin-bout-Willis you need to update your cultural references. Have you been in a long-term coma or something? And if you have been in a long-term coma, this blog might not be the website you should be reading to catch up with the world via. I don't need that responsibility. Christ what a skewed world you'd see!

--- Blood Moon - Speaking of great little horror gems getting released onto blu-ray, the werewolf-menses movie Ginger Snaps got a terrific release this week, and if you've never seen it, see it see it see it. I love it so. Here's a piece at The Dissolve looking at it.

--- Second Rule - I don't know if you saw these gifs I posted over at the Tumblr earlier this week of Brad Pitt's ass in Fight Club, but there they are for you just in case you missed. Nobody should miss such things! Fight Club is in the air right now though - Slash has details on the comic-book based sequel that Chuck Palahniuk has written, picking up with our nameless protagonist a decade after the events of the first story... the comics start hitting the street next May.

--- Prior Further - I guess we've got our answer as to whether the third Insidious movie will be giving us more Patrick Wilson & Rose Byrne family-time - a big fat nope. Which really might be a relief, since after the events of the second film, that would've maybe been kind of hard to tackle convincingly - how many bad things can those folks get through? Anyway the third movie is a prequel and will be set at an unspecified past date with another family dealing with The Further. I bet they tie them together somehow before the end though. I just bet!
.
--- Alien Encounter - The Film Experience and friends tackled Jonathan Glazer's unforgettable probably-already-a-classic Under the Skin last night for the "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" series - because there's not a single frame in that movie not worth looking at three times, the whole list of images will tickle your toes. There's also a nice piece at Buzzfeed about the movie's subversion of the male gaze right here. Everybody's writing about the film because it too hit blu-ray last week - I can't wait to re-watch it myself. I need to do a double-feature with Enemy.

--- And Speaking of ScarJo, that movie Lucy from Luc Besson is out this weekend and I really hadn't been giving it much thought (the trailer is so goddamned silly, with the hair-changing) but this review over at The Wire is making me rethink my stance - I hadn't bothered thinking how loopy Besson might go with the premise, I thought he might be reined in, but it sounds like he goes all the way and around the bend.
.

No comments: