Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Gerwig of the North

The Toronto International Film Festival just announced their slate for this Fall and I'll leave the in-depth dissections of it to the people who are actually going to go (note twinges of jealousy, natch) - what caught my eye, surprising nobody nowhere, was the Greta Gerwig stuff. Specifically, what is there and what isn't. Her movie that is playing the fest is Barry Levinson's movie The Humbling, which stars Al Pacino as (and I quote) "a legendary stage actor who has an affair with a lesbian woman half his age." Oh goodness. Has anybody read the Philip Roth book it's based on? I don't know about all that. There are a couple of pictures at The Playlist, which look like it's Pacino in prime ham mode.

As for the absence at the fest that's catching my eye, I saw Noah Baumbach's name amongst the film-makers hitting TIFF and I figured he was finally going to show that second movie he and Greta shot geurilla-style around the same time they shot Frances Ha; it still doesn't even have a title, IMDb is still calling it "Untitled Public School Project." But no, Noah is showing While We're Young, his movie with Ben Stiller and Naomi Watts as a middle-aged couple whose friendship with a younger couple (played by Adam Driver and Amanda Seyfried) mixes up their lives.

Point being - where's my pseudo-Frances-Ha sequel dammit?!?!?
.

No comments: