Wednesday, April 16, 2014

The Den in 200 Words or Less

.
I realized about twenty minutes into The Den that I might've made a mistake in projecting it on my big screen - this is a movie that would probably work best watched in blasphemous fashion: on one's laptop. Everything we see takes place via web-cams and computer screens, so watching that way would no doubt weave an insidious sensation upon one's reality. Really though the film's less irritating than I worried it would be given this schtick, and actually wrangled a couple of genuine jumps from me. There's some clever stuff going on with manipulating the viewer's eye, for one - what a useful tool a mouse cursor turns out to be to that effect! I mean it's not gonna change the genre but it's a well enough slapped together little thing. Your mileage may vary depending upon your ability to suspend your annoyance at the basic problems inherent in found-footage - why are they still holding that damned camera, etc - but if you can turn those nagging thoughts down and just jump in you might have a good time for the eighty minutes it asks from you.
.

No comments: